Friday 13 December 2013

My mother: a voyage of discovery



‘Help me to live a moment at a time with you, rejoicing in your presence and provision, surprised again and again by the abundance of your giving.’ Words from a notebook my mother began when she was in her ‘60s, recording her reflections on life with God.

I particularly liked her metaphor of life as a walk through a forest, bright sunshine at the end of the long bridle-path, a patchwork of light and shadow as you pass beneath leaf-laden branches.

Mum’s younger sister Jean shared her memories of mum. As a child, six years younger than Helen, Jean felt overwhelmed by her sister’s achievements.  My mother was Dux of Airdrie Academy, earned an MA from Glasgow University and attained a prestigious piano qualification.

But, Jean told me, Helen was initially everything you could want in a big sister. She describes mum taking her on trips in shoogly Glasgow trams to Cranston’s tearooms for a bun and a drink; and to a concert at the St Andrews Halls to hear the celebrated young violinist Yehudi Menhuin.

From early childhood through attending church and through the love of the people she met there mum said she was aware of God, and of the love of God for her. During her time at University she experienced conversion through the influence of an evangelical group, after which she had, I suppose, a new sense of God, a new regard for the Bible, a new understanding of the significance of Jesus’ death and resurrection, a new passion to share her faith.

Helen sought to encourage her younger sister along a similar route, but though Jean happily accompanied her to gospel services and genuinely enjoyed the ‘testimonies’ of conversion she heard there, she did not feel personally at home in that model of Christianity. As Jean tells it, my mother told her she would ‘go to hell’ if she didn’t give up dancing. Thereafter, a gulf opened up between the sisters which was never fully bridged.

After her conversion, mum more-or-less turned her back on classical music of which she could have made a career, and very rarely played anything other than hymns.

There were truly good things in her life  - her love for my father, her supportive friendships – but my overwhelming sense is one of tragedy.

I understand the liberating, life-changing experience of conversion, but as someone who had been aware of God since childhood, why did she not come to realise, later if not in her ‘20s that conversion is often a journey rather than an arrival, a process rather than a crisis? If only Helen had learned to dialogue with other people – including Jean, and later myself – about what point they had reached on their journey rather than leaping to conclusions about beliefs and behaviour.

It is tragic if Helen truly believed that God is concerned only with the religious part of life in a narrow sense, rather than seeing God as the Giver of every good thing. How could she, having tasted as she surely must have tasted of the healing fulfilment of music have taken her hands off the keyboard? It seems to me that mum did not sing to the full the song God had given her because of a narrow view of what living for God involved.

It is tragic that mum and I failed to relate. Both of us were prone to anxiety and depression. My mother, perhaps unable to welcome and accept the person she was, was unable to welcome me as I am, but sought instead to squeeze me into the mould of her expectations until I had to escape from her.

I wondered as I read her notebook whether the description of relationship with God expressed the reality of her life, or simply a possibility, glimpsed and longed for. As I read, I liked this woman from whom I inherit my love of words, my love of using pictures and symbols to express Christian experience. And yet, despite efforts on my part, I never really knew her and  we never truly communicated.

Except once. One day, a month before her death in 2005, I visited mum at Kingsmills Nursing home. She was suffering severe dementia, and visits usually passed with little engagement. I sat beside her on the edge of her bed as she talked incoherently. She rested her head on my shoulder. I put my arm round her. It was the longest time I’d had physical contact with her since I was a child.

And then she said, with seemingly perfect clarity ‘Thankyou,’ and I sensed that the thanks was for far, far more than simply my presence with her that day and felt, perhaps for the first time in my life that I loved her.

(Christian Viewpoint column from the Highland News dated 7th November 2013)

No comments: