Monday 9 December 2013

A life in letters: Lloyd-Jones, David Martyn (1899-1981)



Gifted Welsh medical doctor, minister and evangelical leader. Coming from the Reformed tradition, Lloyd-Jones was Pastor of Westminster Chapel in London from 1943 – 1968. During his ministry, the Church seceded from the Congregational Union and aligned itself with the Federation of Independent Evangelical Churches. A warm-hearted, passionate man, Lloyd-Jones was conscious of the need of the Holy Spirit’s empowering for ministry, and his expository sermons, both in the pulpit and on the page in the many volumes he published were hugely influential within the evangelical community. He was also involved in the creation of the Banner of Truth Trust which has re-printed many Reformed publications and issued new titles, including many of Lloyd-Jones’ sermons. He stood firmly against liberalism, and advocated evangelical Christians ‘coming out’ of churches where more liberal theologies were tolerated.

Martyn Lloyd-Jones’ impact on me, through his published works, was incalculable. Since my childhood, his name had been up there in the pantheon of evangelicalism, but the first time I recall holding a book of his in my hands was one September evening in the mid-1970s just inside the door of the Church of Scotland in Strathpeffer. I’d been attending one of the services at the annual Northern Convention with my parents, and before we went out into the darkness to walk back to our hotel we were scanning the bookstall in the foyer, run by the quaintly-titled Scottish Colportage Society.  For some reason I was attracted to a blue-jacketed volume of sermons on a sections of St Paul’s Epistle to the Ephesians by Dr Martyn Lloyd Jones, which he had preached during his time at London’s Westminster Chapel in the 1950s and ‘60s. ‘What are you buying?’ my mother asked. ‘It’s called Life in the Spirit in Marriage, Home and Work,’ I replied, before adding quickly and nervously ‘Not that I’m thinking of getting married.’

I don’t particularly recall reading that book, but I found the succeeding volume, Christian warfare unforgettable. The sermons it contains deal in great detail with part of chapter 6 of Ephesians, discussing both the reality of a personal devil who attempts to bring chaos where God has created life and joy, and the reality of the victory over this persistent opponent in which Christians participate by virtue of Christ’s ultimate victory. I read chapter after chapter of this book with an increasing sense of joy and a liberating lightness of spirit. As my eyes were opened to the source of the smog of doubt which I felt was hemming me in at that point, it was dispelled by the breath of the Spirit and I saw more clearly than ever before the sun shining brightly. I recall experiencing a similar sense of freedom a decade later when I read Michael Green’s book on the same subject I believe in Satan’s downfall.

Having finished Christian warfare, I turned next to its sequel, The Christian Soldier which dealt with the later verses in Ephesians chapter 6 (but which left me relatively unmoved,)  before launching into Lloyd-Jones’s many volumes of sermons on St Paul’s Epistle to the Romans (again originally preached at Westminster Chapel). I formed the habit of reading one of these sermons in bed each evening, just before going to sleep, and evening by evening expanded my education in the Reformed, Calvinist school of theology. I understood for the first time what it meant to be ‘justified’ –  I was accepted by God not because of my own merits, and despite my own demerits, by virtue of the death of Christ on my behalf.

The reason Lloyd-Jones preached so many sermons in the process of unpacking St Paul’s writing was his desire to explore every nuance of the work in the light of the Bible’s overarching theme and to allow type to illuminate anti-type.  Hence his exposition ranged over the biblical text as a whole, and as I read on I gained an overview of the entire Bible, and discerned God’s continuing strategy to reconcile with its Creator an alienated cosmos. And often as I read I was conscious of being somehow released, conscious of a welling up of praise and thanksgiving. This is where I was blessed – not sitting in church aware of my body pressing into the hard seat, unable to reach beyond the material because I was distracted by the crowds around me and by the noise of hymn-singing, and the thought of the journey home, but here lying in bed able to let go of my surroundings and lose myself in the Doctor’s exposition.

Another Martyn Lloyd-Jones title which I found most helpful was his Spiritual Depression – a collection of sermon addressed to those suffering from spiritual, as opposed to clinical depression, although the two are closely related. I was particularly struck by the chapter entitled Men as trees walking, which describes Jesus’ unique healing of a blind man, unique in that the healing took place in two stages. First, the man was given a blurred, imprecise vision so that people looked to him like walking trees, and then, after a further intervention from Jesus, he was able to see perfectly. I was helped by this when I read it, probably back in the 1970s as it enabled me to synthesise both the fact that I had been conscious of divine intervention in my life, and yet at the same time was aware of so much dross, so much work-in-progress, so much I wanted to be but was not yet. Now, in 2013, I suppose I would re-interpret this, seeing the partial vision and the clarity both as aspects of everyday Christian experience (don’t I speak about my ‘clearer-seeing days’?)  and as a symbol of the contrast between the ‘now’, and the ‘yet-to-be’.  I can just imagine the Doctor harrumphing!

Having read all Lloyd-Jones’ volumes on Romans which had been published by that point, I turned in the 1980s to the earlier collections of sermons in the parallel series on Ephesians. I found these less satisfying.  I was no longer able to sit at Martyn Lloyd-Jones feet as an uncritical listener, since I was aware of my many growing questions about the Bible and its contents and was unable simply to accept Lloyd-Jones assurances that it was an infallible book.  But this in no way reduces my debt to the man – I learned many, many true things from him even if I would now question some aspects of the theological framework through which those true things reached and touched and changed me.

No comments: