Sunday 1 December 2013

A life in letters: Loopy de Loop



As a child, I formed the impression that pop music was considered by those in the Christian circles I moved in to be ‘worldly’, and hence that in listening to it you would both be indicating a lack of true spiritual commitment and exposing yourself to a potentially harmful influence. (Although there wasn’t too much concern about the kind of innocuous schmaltzy pop you heard at the barbers at the foot of Carluke High Street  on a Saturday morning where the radio played songs like My ol’ man’s a dustman and Puff the magic dragon. )  

In my childhood, I assumed that all Christians thought as we did. I remember once being with my Sunday School class in the teacher’s house when I was about 12, and being asked to get something from a wardrobe in the bedroom. I still recall the sense of amazement and shock which walloped me in the stomach when I came across a pile of what looked to me like pop singles – vinyl discs containing a couple of songs – the one on top performed, I noticed when I glanced at the label by a singer or band I hadn’t heard of called Loopy de Loop. I felt confusion, but also a tingle of excitement at having uncovered a very dark secret indeed.

Ironically of course, I realise now that Loopy de Loop was a series of cartoon shorts about a gentlemanly wolf produced by William Hanna and Joseph Barbera in the early 1960s. The disc I saw was probably a song from the soundtrack. Had I known this I would in all my pre-teen self-righteousness have deemed it acceptable listening.

No comments: