Tuesday 19 November 2013

A life in letters:Murray and Paterson

Murray and Paterson's at Whifflet

The engineering works in Whifflet, Coatbridge, founded in 1868 where my grandfather Archibald Jackson was employed for most of his working life, ultimately in the post of Engineer Manager. I remember being taken to meet him at the factory when I was a boy.

About the visit I remember two things – first, a pantograph device with a small torch bulb on the end, which you could move over a flat sheet of cardboard, covered with scribbles and calculations.  My grandfather guided the torch bulb around the edge of a random shape he first scribbled on the card. The pantograph must have been linked to some cutting device, because as bulb followed line, so a piece of steel, to my eyes huge, was carved out in the shape my grandfather had drawn, the process accompanied, I like to imagine, by a satisfactory shower of sparks.

The second thing I remember was looking wistfully at the crane which ran the length of the machine hope high above the floor. Could I climb up and have a ride, I beseeched my grandfather. ‘Not today,’ he replied (or was it my parents?) ‘But when you’re bigger you can come back.’ I never forgot that casual word, nor did I forget that the promised return visit was never arranged.

No comments: