Wednesday 27 November 2013

A life in letters: Dempster Enterprises Ltd



An imaginary company I created when I was 12, inspired by the boy heroes of a series of American childrens’ books whose father owned a business named by adding the word Enterprises to his surname. (I think it was Swift Enterprises.)

A spread from the DEL Catalogue
The main focus of Dempster Enterprises Ltd (or DEL as it was known) appears to have been managing the fleet of three toy planes which flew from an airport named (by analogy with the RAF’s practice) DEL Delderton.

But the business developed – a detailed catalogue lists the wide range of products available from DEL, including everything you’d need for space travel. It’s interesting how knowledgable I was about this subject, when the lunar landing was still five years away – I see a (mis-spelled) reference to solar power.

DEL Doctor's Contract
There was also a (less gracefully named) broadcasting subsidiary, Delytelly, which could only be consumed by folk sitting in my bedroom watching the cardboard box in which I’d concealed myself. I remember my parents forming the audience on at least one occasion.

I also recall my father’s willingness to enter into the DEL game in another way. After he had repaired the wheel of one of my aircraft, he was offered (and accepted by initialling the letter of offer) the role of DEL Aircraft Doctor, which I suspect involved keeping in good shape the planes rather than the aircrew.

It seems like an indian summer of childhood before the autumn storms of adolescence.

No comments: