Sunday 18 November 2012

A life in letters: Strength for today, bright hope for tomorrow

Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow. A line from the hymn Great is Thy Faithfulness by Thomas Chisholm (1866-1960) Over the last 30 years or so, this line has been a kind of mantra to me which I find myself muttering on bad days when I am feeling low and have no sense of God’s presence. It is an expression of faith – a prayer, I suppose -  that I will be enabled to endure,  that better days will come.  But am I deluding myself? Has it always been like this – a daily struggle to be strong, with hope perpetually deferred? Well no, because in the story of my life over those decades, there have been many positive things – I have married, and had a family; I have a creative and satisfying job;  I have grown personally and have known  insights, wisdom, whispers of grace, moments of sheer joy. I have been given both strength and hope, and for this I am truly thankful. And yet there are still days, when all I can do is to repeat ‘Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow.’  And I guess such days will always be until we find ourselves in the Dimension Beyond.

No comments: