Saturday 11 April 2015

Anxiety and depression in an evangelical context: part 5

(Part 4 is here.)


The therapy of the routine

I often found there was therapy in the routine, as I carried on with tasks and projects which didn’t require too much original thought, but which gave me the satisfaction of being creative, and making a useful contribution. For all the occasional stresses, my work – especially latterly when I was working at the Education Resource Centre planning learning exhibitions with my colleagues – was often therapeutic. So were my church responsibilities – organising the regular book-stall, helping edit and produce the newsletter, even taking services at other churches in central Scotland (but never without the precautionary valium!)

My motives for these activities were far from pure. I suspect they were done more for my own benefit – for what they contributed to my own sense of self-worth – rather than as service to God and for the benefit of other. I believe, however, that this questionable motivation didn’t mean that what I was doing had no value, or that folk weren’t touched by grace through it.

During these years I researched and wrote up theses for MA and PhD degrees, both of which investigated the economics of religious book publishing in 19th century Scotland. Completing these projects took courage and determination. I remember sitting on the floor one morning, struggling as I wrote paragraph after paragraph, all the while wrestling to keep my mind fixed on the calm serene certainties of T. & T. Clark’s George Street office in Edinburgh in the 1890s and to drown the suicidal thoughts which threatened to reduce me to chaos.

I remember standing at a dark bus stop in Edinburgh’s Willowbrae Road during my Christmas break one year waiting for a bus to take me to the National Library of Scotland, afraid that I’d throw myself in front of the vehicle before it stopped. When I got on board, I’d avert my eyes so that I wouldn’t see the EXIT sign above the other door, because it would remind me of the assisted suicide society with this word as its name. After our evening meal, I’d stand beside the family friend I was staying with in Edinburgh, drying dishes, and panicking in case some impulse would lead me to stab her with the long, sharp bread knife.

I wasn’t particularly anxious about the oral examination of my PhD thesis. What did terrify me was its location – in the professor’s room on the 13th floor of Strathclyde University’s Livingstone Tower. I sat in the middle of the room, trying to forget how high up I was and to ignore the windows, keeping my eyes focussed on the external examiner, my mind fixed on his convoluted questions about publishing economics. 

But I made it through, and graduated MA in 1983, and PhD in 1987. There was no great sense of achievement, but I guess nothing I did would have been enough to make me feel fulfilled. Later I was to learn that you are most able to enjoy and feel satisfaction in what you have done when you have a prior sense of wholeness and fulfilment. At the time, I guess I simply moved on to the next project, the next challenge, for though there was no sense of achievement when a project was complete there was an undeniable therapy in the process of working on it.

And there were other routes to therapeutic escapism. I remember waking up at home on the Monday morning after I’d abandoned my holiday in Wales  (I’d come back from my parents’ place on the Sunday) wondering what on earth I was to do with myself for the two weeks which stretched ahead. There was no peace to be found in going for long walks; when I visited the Monklands industrial archaeology park at Summerlee in Coatbridge on a blistering hot summer afternoon, I wandered round, feeling remote from the reality of it, even though I was interested to see products made at Murray and Paterson’s steel works just down the road where my grandfather had been a foreman.

Bibliotherapy

But that Monday morning I drove down to the local W.H. Smith and bought an omnibus volume of the James Herriot vet stories, and the first of Anthony Trollope’s Barchester Chronicles, and went home, and lay down on the couch, and read and read, and managed to lose myself in these marvellous escapist narratives, except at points where the raw pain of life invaded the stories, heightening my awareness of my anxieties. I am grateful beyond words to Herriot and Trollope for what they did for me those weeks. Perhaps they saved my life.

I also appreciated escapist television programmes in which could simply lose yourself for an hour. That fortnight they were screening episodes of a manic successor to the Anneka Rice Treasure Hunt series, which involved contestants trying to complete a challenge while being pursued by a hooded figure in a helicopter whose task was to locate and immobilise them. I seem to remember that it was pulled from the schedules after a couple of programmes had been transmitted because the audience figures were dire. It was loud, and crazy but somehow I managed to lose myself in the mayhem, and for that I am deeply grateful.

Specifically Christian books were often particularly helpful, both for the hope they awakened, and for the realisation they gave me that I was not alone. I remember being encouraged by books by Christian psychologists, such as David Seamands’ Healing for damaged emotions which reminded me that I was of infinite value to a God who loved me. I believe God  brought healingly alive in my heart some of the ideas in these books.

I also remember Martyn Lloyd-Jones’ Spiritual Depression – I was particularly struck by the chapter entitled Men as trees walking, which describes Jesus’ unique healing of a blind man, unique in that the healing took place in two stages. First, the man was given a blurred, imprecise vision so that people looked to him like walking trees, and then, after a further intervention from Jesus, he was able to see perfectly. I was helped by this as it enabled me to synthesise both the fact that I had been conscious of divine intervention in my life, and yet at the same time was aware of so much dross, so much work-in-progress, so much I wanted to be but was not yet.

I was comforted by the experiences of other Christians who suffered in a similar way, notably J.B. Phillips, the Anglican priest who translated the New Testament and parts of the Old Testament into modern English. His suffering from severe depression is described in his biography The Price of Success and is the main theme of The Wounded Healer, a collection of his letters to people who wrote to him for help and guidance. I was inspired by this concept of the wounded having by the very fact of their woundedness the power to bring to other sufferers the healing of empathy and an informed comfort. It was certainly my experience that my personal acquaintance with mental suffering enabled me to draw near both in person and from the pulpit to others who were traversing the same dark valley. And it was encouraging to remember that all of us wounded healers were walking in the footsteps of the one who was our paradigm, Jesus himself.

Though I found reading helpful, I found music depressing rather than uplifting. I had always enjoyed listening to classical music, but during the hard years this – particularly when it was in a minor key, and especially when it was anything written earlier than Mozart – seemed to grip my emotions and pull them inexorably downwards. When I was out for a meal, I’d groan inwardly if my hosts had music playing in the background, for already the tension levels would be rising in direct proportion to the plummeting of my spirits. Christian hymns and songs could sometimes be helpful. I remember a line sung by the then-popular Scandinavian Christian singer Evie (who was performing at the Filey event the year I attended it) which lodged in my mind. ‘The hard times,’ she reminded me, ‘make you strong.’ I hoped she was right, while never being quite convinced of it.

From the moment I came across his work during my university English classes, I loved the life story and writings of Gerard Manley Hopkins. His passionate poems about the beauties of nature were uplifting, but I particularly empathised with the depressive melancholy which shadowed his life. In To R.B. he explained his longing of ‘the one rapture of an inspiration’, should his friend Robert Bridges to whom the poem was addressed have missed ‘in these lagging lines…..the roll, the rise the carol, the creation.’ Words which are all the more poignant to those of us who seek the same touch of rapture since despite – or perhaps even because of – his pain and sense of failure, Hopkins was still able to write divinely.

I remember concluding a sermon with a quotation from Hopkins at the end of a difficult day preaching at Hamilton Baptist Church. It was at the time I’d become convinced that I was called to be a Baptist minister and that to make this possible God would somehow work a miracle and evaporate my fear of public speaking. I applied as a candidate for the ministry to the Baptist Union of Scotland, and started learning New Testament Greek. But far from diminishing, the stress levels progressively increased.

That Sunday, I drove to Hamilton in complete terror. As the church secretary and I prayed before the service, I was wracked with the usual panic, unsure whether I’d be able to survive the hour ahead. And then I walked out into the pulpit where the little sign in old-fashioned lettering, visible only to the person leading the service, quoted words from the book of Acts  - ‘Sirs, we would see Jesus.’  What kind of crucifixion would they see that morning?

I don’t know how I made it through the service. I was in perpetual fear that I’d collapse in panic, or burst into an uncontrollable tirade of gibberish and obscenity. Word after word, sentence after sentence, I tried desperately to focus on the present moment, simply to survive, second by second. It did not, I imagine, make for particularly edifying listening.

In the evening I, and the congregation, were back for more. I was preaching about the Christian understanding of suffering, particularly of depression. About half-way through the service I realised I might actually make it to the end without collapsing, and my mood lightened.

I finished the sermon by quoting the opening lines of Hopkins’ masterpiece The Wreck of the Deutschland, a poem in which he draws parallel between a recent shipwreck and the courage and faith demonstrated by one of a group of nuns who were on board, and his own experience of faith tested by trauma and pain.  He begins with a description of how God the creator who ‘hast bound bones and veins in me, fastened me flesh’ subsequently subjected him to an experience so severe that he was ‘almost unmade’. And then he says ‘dost thou touch me afresh? Over again I feel thy finger and find thee.’ I quoted those words, and suggested to the congregation that despite the intensity of our pain and darkness the time will come when God will say ‘Enough!’, and once again we will experience God’s healing intervention. I don’t think I felt his finger that night at Hamilton. There was simply relief that I had survived. But the hope was there, no matter how apparently irrational, that one day the cloud would lift and God’s touch would be tangible.

I drove home after the service and gave my £40 fee for the day to the minister of my own church in Airdrie, because I reckoned he needed it more than I did, and I accepted that I had been wrong, and that I was not, after all, called to be the full-time pastor of a church.

(Part 6 is here.)

No comments: