Saturday 30 March 2013

A life in letters: Flumes



I have only been down a flume twice in my life. In 1992, shortly after Lorna and I were engaged, we were both at the Spring Harvest event at Butlin’s Wonderwest World in Ayr.  One afternoon, we went to the Leisure Waters facility at the site. I was at the stage of feeling that to marry Lorna would mean doing (or at least trying to do)  everything she did. And so, as she flung herself joyously down the steepest flume, I resolved to do the same, and after lingering hesitantly at the top of the flume whose gradient seemed most gradual, I courageously let myself go. It was terrifying – the rapid descent with no means of restraining your body, the knowledge that at the bottom the projectile of your body would be fired into a deep pool of water. I survived, but resolved never again to put myself through the flume experience.
A few years later we were on holiday at St Andrews when Rebecca was a toddler. At the leisure pool close to the beach, there was the very shortest of flumes. Rebecca was reluctant to commit herself to it, and I reckoned that I could face such a brief descent with equanimity and so Rebecca and I went down together. It was not a wise decision. I learned that to me even the shortest of flumes brings terror, and also that young children are quick to recognize when you’re afraid. (Mind you, as I was probably holding myself rigid, and her too, this is hardly surprising.) That episode probably put Rebecca off flumes for life!
But at least I tried, and I think there are metaphors in there for my approach to fathering, and to life.

No comments: