Sunday 31 March 2013

A life in letters: Dibden, Charles



I think his name was Charles Dibden – he was a few years ahead of me at Wishaw High School – and I remember him for a singular kindness he showed me. When I was about 15, and a member of the Junior Debating Society I took part, on behalf of the school, at a Public Speaking Competition organised by the local Junior Gavel Club and held at Motherwell Town Hall. My parents dropped me off before the event, and I was to get the ‘bus home to Carluke afterwards. Charles must, I assume have been there to participate in the senior level of the competition – to me, he seemed vastly older and maturer than I was.  My turn came, and I delivered my prepared speech, a rant entitled ‘Wolves in society’ about those who prey on the weak. The winner, however, was a speaker from another school in the area who  seemed younger and more boyish than me and who spoke with such poise, persuasiveness and humour that the moment  he opened his mouth I knew I hadn't a chance of winning. And so it turned out. I caught the 'bus home feeling rather dejected and Charles, whom I presume also lived in Carluke, accompanied me. I believe that his only motive – certainly it was the only motive he articulated - was a brotherly concern that I might be upset not to have won.  He got off at my ‘bus stop, and walked with me to my front gate. I suspect that on the night I was too much wrapped up in myself to respond as openly as his intervention deserved. Certainly I would have preferred space to work through the events of my evening myself. But I have never forgotten what seemed to me to be such a sensitive thoughtfulness.

No comments: