Sunday 7 February 2016

Sisters and brothers, not enemies



‘I found my faltering and uncertain faith had been stimulated by this humble Free Church minister,’ wrote journalist Kevin McKenna in the Daily Mail. His subject was David Robertson, Moderator of the Free Church of Scotland, and minister of St Peter’s Free Church in Dundee, where attendance at services has grown from 7 to over 250 since his ministry there began in the 1990s.

David Robertson
David Robertson takes no personal credit for this. He told the journalist, refreshingly that ‘The only thing that would bring people here would be the knowledge that God lived here too’; McKenna concludes that Robertson ‘is fast becoming the most important Christian leader in Scotland.’

But this is the man who in a recent public debate with another McKenna, Scott, minister of Mayfield Salisbury Church of Scotland in Edinburgh told him that if he were a member of St Peter’s Dundee ‘I’m sorry, I would have to say this. I would excommunicate you.’

The background to this is as follows: David Robertson had disagreed with something Scott McKenna said in a sermon about the way Jesus removes the barriers between us and God. To Scott, the teaching that Jesus died as our representative, our substitute, bearing on our behalf the wrath of God so that our sinfulness can be forgiven portrays God as ‘vindictive and immoral’ in requiring sacrifice before forgiveness can be given.

David pointed out (correctly) that this belief was central to faith in the New Testament, and has been a key Christian conviction across the centuries, though he accepted that other pictures are used to describe what Jesus achieved (for example overcoming powers of darkness, paying a ransom, setting captives free.)

After a private meeting, Scott invited David to take part in a public exchange on their views at his church. 250 people attended the event on 30th September – there’s a full transcript on David’s blog https://theweeflea.wordpress.com.

The debate covered a couple of topics besides the significance of Jesus’ death.  Both men agreed that the Bible was inspired by God, but Scott pointed out that it was also a very human book, written in specific cultural contexts, and must be interpreted in the light of this. On the future of the church in Scotland, David was forthright: the Church of Scotland was ‘dying’ because it did not preach the whole gospel as David defined it.

Throughout the debate, Scott emphasised that both men were on the same journey, a journey with Christ, in and towards God. David (though tempted as he said in a later blog post to agree in order to make things easy for himself) could not conscientiously accept this.

Because Scott didn’t hold to a fundamental belief about how Christ saves us he was not, in David’s eyes, a genuine Christian. ‘I had hoped for Scott’s conversion,’ David wrote afterwards in his blog.

My place on the spectrum on belief is between these two men, but closer to Scott than to David. Over the years I have journeyed towards Scott’s view of the Bible – and I believe God has led me in this journey of re-thinking.

On the issue of Jesus’ death, I accept he took my place; I accept that ‘Jesus died for my sins’; I say this with a loud Hallelujah! But I don’t believe it is appropriate to judge who is ‘in’ and who is ‘out’ on the basis of this issue.

Scott sees in David ‘a real love for Jesus which I certainly share myself.’ He speaks of being ‘secure in the love of Jesus.’  But in David’s eyes, far from loving the same Jesus, Scott believes in ‘a different Christ.’

I couldn’t disagree more with David on this. I believe the pictures the Bible gives us are there to help us understand something immense beyond our ability to comprehend. The Christ behind these pictures is the same Christ, the sole Christ, and that if we entrust ourselves to Christ, then whatever our particular views on how Jesus’ death ‘worked’, we are nourished in taking the bread and wine.

Surely what matters is love for Jesus, and Jesus-inspired love for others, not precise doctrine? Jesus didn’t teach substitution in his encounters with people. For him it was ‘Follow me! Love me! Obey me! Be born again!”

Like David, I am passionate about Jesus (though mine is a gentler passion than his). I am passionate about the power of Jesus to change lives and change society, to bring us hope and a future.

And for all his bluntness and occasional unwise words, I love David Robertson as a Christian brother. I am simply concerned that he doesn’t recognise that many of us in Scotland whose understanding on some issues differ from his, are sisters and brothers, not enemies; partners of the living Jesus.

(Christian Viewpoint from the Highland News dated 22nd October 2015)

No comments: