Sunday 20 April 2014

The God who pictures our future



Deryn Blackwell (14) had suffered from two forms of cancer for almost three years, during which time he had numerous treatments, including four bone marrow transplants in 2013, none of which seemed to ‘take.’ By last December, his immune system no longer functioning, he had three major infections.

His family celebrated Christmas on 14th December because they’d been told he wouldn’t make it to the 25th. Yet even though he had been taken off antibiotics as his case was judged hopeless, somehow his wounds healed, somehow his body began producing white blood cells again.

He had begun a recovery, reported in the press last week, which doctors deem ‘impossible.’ It is further evidence that sometimes, miracles happen.

Deryn had faced up to the fact that he was dying. His mum Callie says ‘Deryn said that when he finally accepted his was going to die, it was the best day of his life because it gave him this calm and peaceful feeling, like he finally had control over his life and where he was going.’

No one who has not received a diagnosis of a terminal illness can possibly imagine what it must feel like. But there are frequent reports of people given a limited number of weeks or months to live who say that despite the sadness they have found peace and meaningfulness, and even a strange wistful joy.

My recent mini-stroke was not life-threatening, but it did confront me with my own mortality. Together with the recognition that it might be followed by a far more serious episode came a heightened sense of the value of each day, each moment, each person, each conversation.

The old Christian writers advise us to ‘Live every day as though it were your last.’ It is, I believe, true that a healthy acceptance that we are not here for ever is the key to wise living, the key to extracting the most from life, and contributing the most to life.

I was interested in Deryn’s view of what happens when we die. Callie tells us ‘He described it as having an open door in front of you with a light, and you know that when you walk through that door all pain will end and you will be free.’

Our view of what dying entails colours our approach to death. Do I believe that when the last brain cells cease firing, I am gone forever? Do I believe in the tunnel of light to the place of welcome (or perhaps of anguish) which the stories of near-death experiences describe? Do I believe in multiple incarnations? Or do I accept the Christian vision of death, as entry into another dimension where our lives will be assessed, and the quality of our loving, and above all our attitude to the Jesus who offers us freedom from fear of judgement?

It seems important not to latch on unthinkingly to cultural assumptions about death, but to explore the issues and the evidence, and to listen out for the God whom Christians believe assures us that death is not the end, and encourages us to put our confidence in Jesus Christ.

I was struck by the difficulty Deryn had in coming to terms with not dying. ‘Cancer boy faces his toughest test coping with a miracle recovery,’ one headline ran. His family say ‘Deryn has had every certainty removed.’ For a time he even stopped eating because he couldn’t face the prospect of living, but now he is able ‘to picture his own future.’

This feeling of being sentenced to life, not death seems counter-intuitive. But it reminds me that while it’s healthy to live in the light of our morality, it is not healthy to be defined by our mortality.

I can imagine that if I had a troubling diagnosis, or found myself limited physically, or if I was depressed or otherwise mentally ill, or even if I reached a significant birthday, I might say ‘This is it. Life is over’ and find some dubious comfort in withdrawal from life.

If ever I feel that way, I hope I will remind myself that accepting my mortality is a gateway to entering as fully as I am able into the life God calls me to, a life which continues beyond death. For Daryn, death was ‘the next adventure.’ Sometimes we need to rediscover the ‘next adventure’ which life offers us. God pictures our future, and summons us into it.

It’s easy to talk about death. Harder to accept that I will die one day. And yet, as I reflected in the aftermath of my mini-stroke, I realised that everything would be OK, really it would, as I entrusted myself not to rumours of a tunnel of light but to the living Jesus.

(Christian Viewpoint column from the Highland News dated 6th March 2014)

No comments: