Monday 22 April 2013

A life in letters: Autograph book



I was given an autograph book when I was about 11, a thin notebook with a tartan-patterned cover, almost square, embossed in gold with the word ‘Autographs’. The pages were in sections, each of a different colour – blue, yellow, pink. I collected signatures and comments from friends and family. Two of the contributions I remember. Inside the back cover my paternal grandfather wrote ‘By hook or by crook I’ll have the last page in your book.’ My parents remarked to me afterwards that, instead, some serious words of spiritual encouragement might have been appropriate. My friend Colin Menzies puzzled over what it would be appropriate to write, thought that I might appreciate a scriptural quotation, and wrote down the only one he knew, ‘Jesus wept.’  ‘That’s from the Bible, isn’t it?’ he said rather anxiously, looking up from writing to see if I was pleased. I nodded, awkwardly.

No comments: