Friday 7 December 2012

A life in letters: Choosing joy

Over the years, ‘Choose joy’ has been my mantra on days when I have been feeling low and sad, days which I sometimes describe in my journal as ‘choose joy days’. For me, to choose joy is to recognise that how the business of the day goes depends on my attitude. To ‘choose joy’ is to make a decision to live in the light of a joy which I do not sense at that point. It is not hiding from reality or denying the truth of my emotional deadness. Rather it is acting and reacting on the basis not  of the deadness, but of what I believe to be real even though it is currently masked from my senses. This isn’t just a matter of mind games, of positive thinking, but a conviction that God exists, that God is love, that God is with me, regardless of whether or not I am aware of God’s  presence. It is choosing to live as though this is true, even though an emotional filter strains out the colour, painting everything in shades of grey. 

No comments: