Saturday 29 December 2007

My first post

‘I wish I was an uncomplicated evangelical,’ I said to my friend. He nodded understandingly.

It seemed to me that most of the evangelical Christians I knew were of the uncomplicated variety, in that their faith did not seem to be disturbed by too many questions, their sense of God’s presence was fairly constant, and their spiritual maturity appeared to develop through a deepening of existing convictions rather than a fundamental challenge to them.

‘But you’re not, are you?’ my friend said

And he was right. For many years I lived with the misconception that you were only truly evangelical if you were an uncomplicated evangelical, and I tried hard to be one. Over the last few years, however, I have come to realise that I am what I am - a complicated evangelical, often with more questions than I have answers. But I have also realised that God has just as much time for us complicated evangelicals as for uncomplicated ones!
In this blog I intend to post occasional reflections -is to encourage others who feel similarly on the edge, but who remain evangelicals – despite the complications!

No comments: